Brompton Cemetery, consecrated by the Bishop of London in June 1840, is one of the Britain’s oldest and most distinguished garden cemeteries. The cemetery is Grade I Listed on the English Heritage Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
The 39-acre (16 hectare) site lies between Old Brompton and Fulham Roads, on the western border of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, then a distant suburb and now a populous and diverse community in the heart of London.
The Friends of Brompton Cemetery work to preserve this remarkable site as a model of an historic cemetery with an active role in modern society. We help to restore and maintain the cemetery’s buildings, monuments and landscape, and encourage their full use by those sympathetic to the importance, beauty, heritage and fragility of this significant cemetery. We offer visitors Sunday afternoon tours, guidebooks, maps and postcards.
Please Note that the Friends office will be situated in a Portacabin outside the Chapel from Monday 8th February, 2016 while the South Lodge is refurbished. We expect to be in the portacabin for at least a year before moving to new offices in the North Lodge. Contact numbers remain the same and any further changes will be posted on the website.
Brompton Cemetery covers 39 acres (16 hectares) within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, in West London. The walled site has gates and lodges on Old Brompton Road to the north, and Fulham Road to the south. The tracks of the District Line run to the west, and Finborough and Ifield Roads to the east.
It is managed by The Royal Parks, under contract from the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, and is thus Britain’s only Crown Cemetery.
The cemetery is usually open from dusk until dawn daily; it is closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. Our opening hours are available on the Royal Parks website.
Parking is available on-site for grave grant holders only.
The nearest London Underground & Overground station is West Brompton (District Line, Wimbledon branch, and London Overground), to the west on Old Brompton Road: turn right on leaving the station, and the North Gate and Lodges are within two minutes’ walk.
Earl’s Court Station (Piccadilly and District Lines) is within ten minutes’ walk to the north: turn left out of the Warwick Road entrance, immediately opposite the Earl’s Court Exhibition Centre, and walk south along Warwick Road to Old Brompton Road.
Buses To The Cemetery Entrance
Old Brompton Road: 74 Fulham Road: 14, 211, 414 Other nearby buses: 190, 328, 430, C1, C3
Sunday GUIDED TOURS of the Cemetery will be offered during 2017 on 12 and 26 March, 9 and 23 April, on every Sunday during May, June, July and August, and on 10 and 24 September, 8 and 22 October, and 12 and 26 November.
The Sunday tours start at 2.00 p.m. near the Chapel -- the exact location will depend on the state of the building works at that time. £6 donation is requested to help us with our work -- we are a registered charity.
We also welcome visits for GUIDED TOURS FOR GROUPS at any convenient time during the week. For Group tours we seek a donation of £10 per person with a minimum donation of £120. If interested please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or telephone 020 7351 1689.